Saturday, September 29, 2012

BORN TODAY

BORN TODAY: Greer Garson (1904–1996)




The British Greer Garson was one of the major box office draws for MGM studios, especially in the forties. She received an impressive seven Academy Award nominations - starting with her first Hollywood role in Goodbye Mr. Chips (1939). Her only actual win was for Mrs. Miniver (1942) - and deservedly so. She was responsible for the Academy issuing time limits on acceptance speeches - hers was five minutes and thirty seconds (!), a record that still stands. The actor who played her son in the movie would later become her husband.
Other memorable performances by Garson were in films like Pride and Prejudice (1940), Madame Curie (1943), and, my personal favourite, Random Harvest (1942), a somewhat far-fetched melodrama about amnesia, lost love, more amnesia and a happy ending. The picture received multiple Academy Award nominations, Best Film and Best Actor (Ronald Colman) among them. Garson wasn't nominated because her nomination for Mrs. Miniver that same year made her ineligible.
Greer Garson was a classy actress, her wit and personal charm were her strongest features. Always engaging, I've not seen her give a bad performance.

Quote: "I do wish I could tell you my age but it's impossible. It keeps changing all the time!"




With Walter Pidgeon in Mrs. Miniver (1942)

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Greer!

    I'm glad you did a birthday post for her, Johan. She's one of my top 10 gals, and I had intended to do a birthday post for her, but I just didn't get around to it.


    My favorite of her films is "Random Harvest," which is one of my favorite 10 films of the 1940's. I also adore her in "Her Twelve Men," which pairs her with my beloved Robert Ryan, who actually plays a good guy in that film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I wrote in the piece, Random Harvest is my fave too. I haven't seen Her Twelve Men. I wish we had TMC here too, I would be able to see so many more classic films! I'm a member of a forum where I can download a lot from but it's far from ideal.

      Delete
  2. Not only was she a fine dramatic actress but I love that she had that cheekiness about her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts and comments - it is much appreciated!